In our General Memorandum 11-063 (May 20, 2011) we reported on the final funding figures for the FY 2011 Indian Health Service (IHS) budget. Since then, the IHS has released additional information regarding the distribution of funds for staffing of new facilities and construction of health care facilities.
Staffing of New Facilities – $8,482,000 is available in the Hospitals and Clinics account for staffing of new facilities as follows:
• Chickasaw Nation Medical Center, Oklahoma – $4,045,000 (38 positions)
• Lake County Tribal Health Center, California – $1,948,000 (21 positions)
• Elbowoods Health Center, North Dakota – $1,072,000 (12 positions)
• Cheyenne River Health Center, South Dakota – $1,417,000 (15 positions)
The above figures compare as follows to what had been requested by the Administration: $8.9 million for the Absentee Shawnee Health Center; $8.4 million for the Elbowoods Health Center; $6.5 million for Carl Albert Hospital; $3 million for the Lake County Tribal Health Center; $2 million for the Cheyenne River Health Center; and $9.8 million as a place holder for two joint venture projects.
Construction of Health Care Facilities – $39,156,000 is available for construction of health care facilities as follows:
• Barrow, Alaska Hospital – $29,156,000; compared to $40.2 million requested
• San Carlos, Arizona Health Center – $7,000,000; compared to $16 million requested
• Kayenta, Arizona Health Center – $3,000,000; compared to $10 million requested
Please let us know if we may provide additional information regarding the FY 2011 Indian Health Service appropriations.