The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is soliciting applications from Indian tribes for FY 2012 planning grants for the AmeriCorps program. The AmeriCorps program, reauthorized in 2009 as part of the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act (Act), is a national and community service program. Up to 140,000 positions are authorized in FY 2012 for various AmeriCorps programs.
While the Act focuses on AmeriCorps service in six areas – disaster services; economic opportunity; education; environmental stewardship; healthy futures; and veterans and military families, the FY 2012 grants will focus on the following three areas:
• Education – academic outcomes for children, youth, and young adults
• Veterans – programs that serve veterans and military families or engage veterans in service
• Disaster Services – preparation, response, recovery, and mitigation
Planning grants are for capacity building rather than the provision of direct services and may not be used to support AmeriCorps members. CNCS gives the following examples of capacity building activities:
• Recruiting and/or managing community volunteers
• Implementing effective volunteer management practices
• Completing community assessments that identify goals and recommendations
• Developing new systems and business processes (technology, performance management, training) or enhancing existing systems and business processes.
The deadline for receipt of applications is January 18, 2012. CNCS requests an email from applicant tribes by December 21, 2011, stating intent to apply. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
The maximum grant award is $50,000 and CNCS expects to make approximately ten awards. Tribes who have previously received an AmeriCorps grant are not eligible applicants. Applicants are required to provide a 24 percent match (cash or in-kind), although a tribe may request a waiver of the match requirement which must be submitted at least 60 days before the application is due. To receive instructions on applying for a waiver, send a request to TribalMatchWaiver@cns.gov
The notice for tribal planning grants (CFDA 94.006) is available at
www.americorps.gov/for_organizations/funding/nofa.asp. For a printed copy you may call 202-606-7508.
Please let us know if we may provide additional information regarding the AmeriCorps program.