The Bureau of the Census (Bureau) is soliciting comments, via the attached July 13, 2015, FEDERAL REGISTER notice, regarding its upcoming tribal consultations on the 2020 decennial Census. The Bureau anticipates eight tribal consultation meetings and one national webinar. The meetings are “open to members of federally recognized tribes by invitation.” The invitation to tribal leaders was sent via letter on July 13 (attached), and we were told by the Census Bureau that tribal leaders may request the presence of a non-tribal person at a consultation session. The Bureau is asking for recommendations by September 30, 2015, for suggested topics and questions. In addition, the Bureau seeks comments regarding:
• Enumeration – the process by which data is collected for the decennial Census and ways to increase the response;
• Demographic Statistics – how the collection of data on age, sex, and racial composition has changed through the processes of birth, death, and migration;
• Geography – ways to use the best available geographic methodologies to support context to the Census design, data collection, tabulation and data dissemination;
• 2020 Census Field Partnerships and Recruitment – how to maximize public engagement and to encourage response;
• 2020 Census Communications and Planning – how to improve communications and increase accuracy.
Tribes may want to address issues including the apparent undercount of the AI/AN on-reservation population and ways to eliminate this problem; increased Bureau assistance to help tribes prepare for and conduct Census activities; hiring and training of on-reservation tribal members for Census work; tribal review and update of maps used by enumerators in the Census; timely availability to tribes of 2020 Census results; and discussion of the implications if the Bureau decides to add Hispanic to the list of races in the 2020 Census.
The Bureau has not confirmed meeting dates and times but has listed the locations/times under consideration which can be found here: http://census.gov/aian/census_2020. Under consideration are sessions at upcoming Indian organization conferences, i.e., Alaska Federation of Natives, National Congress of American Indians, United South and Eastern Tribes. To register for a session, go to: http://2020census.kauffmaninc.com/
Please let us know if we may provide additional information regarding Census matters.