- Provide counsel to tribes on how to expand the tribal trust land base, a critical tool tribal governments can use to assert sovereign civil and criminal governmental authority on lands within their respective territories.
- Assist tribes in acquiring trust lands through the land-into-trust process and the fee-to-trust process.
- Advise and assist tribes in obtaining and establishing trust status of tribal lands through:
- Implementation of the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act.
- Use of the Indian Land Consolidation Act.
- Use of excess and surplus federal property acts.
- Land exchange mechanisms.
- Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission process.
- Navigate all aspects of the trust land acquisition processes, including:
- Development and completion of trust application forms and guidelines.
- Preparation of real property contracts.
- Negotiation of cooperative agreements related to law enforcement and fire protection.
- Communications with federal officials and legal counsel.
- Assistance in addressing title issues, environmental requirements, and jurisdictional matters.
- Monitor efforts to streamline and improve the fee-to-trust process including the Department of the Interior’s recent effort to change the Part 151 regulations.
Get updates on Native Law & Policy Development as they unfold in our General Memoranda.